Friday, January 30, 2009

Lest I Forget

River's two year stats:
Weight: 24.5 lbs.......................25th percentile
Height: 34.5 inches..................70th percentile
We went to River's two year well child check up and all I could think after we left was, am I really the mother of a two year old? This past year has flown by in a blur of the sweetest moments.
Will I remember years from now that River loves puzzles? So much so that we call her the puzzle wizard? Will I remember that she can read books for hours straight and never get bored? That, in fact, the first words out of her mouth every single morning are "I want to read books!"? Will I recall the sweet 'cheep cheeps' that fill the air each day as River flaps her arms pretending to be a baby bird who's name is Red? Or her infatuation with all things Curious George? Or even the way her hair looks like a rat's-nest in the morning?


That is why, my friends, I am going to take a moment and write about all the things that I love about River. Feel free to read on if you like, if not,visit again soon. My next post won't be nearly as sappy. I promise!


(One of my friends wrote the sweetest letter to her daughter on their blog. I thought I would do the same thing to jot down some things I want to remember.)
Dear River,

You are very excited to become a big sister. You 'hold' the baby all the time by cradling my tummy and giving it hugs and kisses. A few days ago while you were hugging my belly you became very concerned and asked why the baby was 'in there all by herself'. You also asked how the baby would get out by herself. I had to assure you that mommy and daddy would help her. Then you felt better.

Your favorite songs to sing are 'No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed', 'Baa Baa Black Sheep', and 'the ABC's'.

You randomly yell, "Let's move our bodies!" And begin to do squats and shoulder presses and the like. Your dad and I have no idea where you got this from!

Your favorite color is yellow. You know all your colors. You know your all your letters. You can count to 12.

Whenever I'm doing dishes, you rush into the room saying "Ho ho ho. I have a teddy bear for you." And hand me an imaginary teddy bear to hold. Then you'll say "give the teddy bear a hug, mommy" or "I brought you a present, mommy".

As soon as you put on your Dora backpack you yell "Come on, vomonos! Everybody let's go!" and immediately run for the door.

You love to say prayers. You're even saying them on your own now.

When I zip up your coat you say "you're strong, mommy".

You demand that daddy tickles your belly after you've had a bath. You won't let me do it.

You have to be able to run your fingers through your hair to fall asleep at nap time or bedtime. You inherited this bad habit from me (and grandma).

The last time you successfully used the potty I heard you shout, "Awesome!"

"Let me do it" "I wanna do it" and "I can do it by myself" are your favorite phrases.

You always want to put on deodorant when you get out of the tub. Only you pronounce it 'd-yogurt.'

When you put Curious George or the baby doll to sleep in your bed you put your face as close to mine as you can, and with finger to your lips whisper "Shhhhhhhhhh. Shhhhhhh! The baby is sleeping!"

...There are so many more things that I could write, but most of all I just want you to know how much Daddy and I adore and love you. We are very blessed to have you as a daughter!...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how much River has changed! It makes me sad and happy. Beautiful letter!

Anonymous said...

that post was from me. mom

Betzy said...

Your letter was so touching! I loved it. Oh and by the way, we're girls and we're supposed to be sappy so don't apologize because that's what makes life more fun sometimes!

Natalie said...

Soooo cute! River is such a beautiful little girl.

layne said...

River is adorable! Layne and I just kept watching her ABC song video over and over again.

Kayc said...

I loved this post. My eyes watered up as I read your letter to River. LOL....but they sersiously did. :) I can't believe how big she has gotten since I saw her last. I hope everything is going well for you guys. I went to dinner with your parents last night and they told me your top names....Eden is definitely my favorite.