Thursday, February 25, 2010

Hair for a Princess

I wanted to let River's hair grow out. When I was little I always wanted to have the long thick hair other girls had. My mom kept mine short because it was so thin. River's hair is thin too, and it just looks so much better short! So it's short. I think it turned out darling, if I do say so myself. Who needs braids and pigtails anyway?

Before: After:


On a side note. From the time River was born I've been dreading the phase all little girls seem to go through. The 'princess' phase. Pink, pink, pink. Dressing up. Prancing around... When other girls River's age started playing princess and River wasn't interested, I breathed a secret sigh of relief. However, since River received dress up clothes for her birthday it has hit full force. And it's not so bad, it's actually really sweet. She pretends to be Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella and she's always saying, "Oh! It's so beautiful!" "Isn't that lovely, Mom?" "I just love to color, it's so wonderful!" and today when I gave her an icebreaker mint she said
"Mints are SO pretty and sparkly! Mints are special because they make your teeth golden and sparkle and shine!"
Dancing has also increased ten-fold. The only songs she'll dance to are ones she'd heard on a Disney movie, so I end up singing for an hour while she dances. I need to get some Disney songs downloaded onto my ipod.
It's a good thing she still loves bugs, tigers and dinosaurs or I'd really be in trouble. ;)

5 comments:

Erica said...

i dreaded the princess stage too! when i had ella's baby shower, i returned all the onesies that said "princess" or anything remotely bratty. i did not want a girly (bratty) girl! fast forward through ella's life and we now have the princess of all princesses. i don't know how it happened, but it was definitely her own doing. you just can't help what your kids like. so now with three girls, i've just embraced that our playroom looks like someone dumped pepto all over it and someone will always be fighting over the pink plate. but you're right, some aspects of it are absolutely charming and sweet. river is definitely a beautiful princess!

Gwen said...

She's a pretty, pretty princess! And we can always get her to play with my boys more if you want to get her out of that stage! Although I think every girl needs to be girlie!

Kayc said...

Hahaha, that's adorable! I don't think any of us girls went through a princess stage? I'll have to ask my mom on that one! LOL, so cute!

Unknown said...

I love the short hair!

Betzy said...

Ohhh the princess stage...going through that now (little miss Nissi needs to have EVERYTHING tried on her and follows it with an "ooooo Pretty look mom pretty) I for one was worried she would be tomboyed out by her dad and though it shows through every once in a while...she's still the girly girl I love to dress up because lets face it..it won't last long so enjoy your beutiful princesses! Oh and on a side note..River's hair is adorable. I hate having to keep my hair short too because of it being so fine so I cheated and shaved Nissi's hair three times before her first year and now she has the thick beautiful hair I've always envied :-( (some people don't believe in this but I wasn't shaved and Nissi has and she has Pantene commercial quality hair so maybe there is something to the Shanayde (sp?) O'Connor look after all :-
D