Sunday, July 26, 2009

Moving Adventures and Random Sampler

WE MADE IT! We are officially living in Utah now. None of us had even visited Utah for a year, so it was surreal to get off the airplane and realize we wouldn't be leaving. River acted like she had never seen a mountain before (she was only 18 months when we were in Utah last...) and kept pointing at them. "Mom! There's a mountain over there! There's another one! I see mountains!" Sariah miraculously slept during both plane rides, but finally decided she'd had it when we reached Duchesne. Only a half hour of crying for a whole day of traveling...not bad. Cameron and Adam drove across the country in three days, and probably drank enough Mt. Dew to drown a horse.

Friday before we left we had one last BBQ with friends. (Thanks Britta and Jason, it was wonderful!) Saturday we finished packing, toured Niagara Falls and went to the Hill Cumorah Pageant one last time. We gave talks in Sacrament Meeting on Sunday and then left Buffalo for good early Monday morning.

At the pageant, these adorable kids (2 of over 800 volunteers) gave River some tootsie rolls, so she loved them instantly. Plus, she thought their costumes were cool.

Cam, Adam and Riv in front of the Joseph Smith home.





RANDOM SAMPLER: A small sample of the inner workings of River's mind. Cameron and I really don't know where she comes up with half of this stuff. My guess is nursery!


*When my mom came to visit us, I said to her, not wanting River to know what we were talking about, "Do you think we should go to the Z-O-O today?" River put her finger in the air and said, "Z-O-O. Hmm. I think that means we should go to the zoo!" We just laughed and took her to the zoo, but we were both surprised.


*One morning River climbed in bed with us and patting her bottom said, "Mom. I have a bum!" I said, "Yep, you do." River said "Jesus has a bum too!" I said, "Yes he does."


*our conversation in the car one day...
River: Mom! Mom, I can't find my armpit!!! (she's got her arm lifted in the air twisting her neck trying to find her armpit) It's gone, I can't see it!

Me: It's right there River, you just can't see it.

River: (Really worried now and squirming around trying to see her armpit) No! I can't see it! Where is it? Oh no! Where did it go? Where's my armpit? No! I can't find it!

Me: Calm down, it's right there. Wait until we get home and I'll show it to you in the mirror. Okay?

River: Okay. .... Hey! Mom! There's hair on my legs! How did that get there? That's funny! Silly hair!


* "This is my baby. His name is Joseph Smifth." (the next couple of weeks all of her dolls' names were Joseph Smith)


* We were on our way home from a long day in the car and both kids where crying. In exasperation I said to Cameron, "I'm sick of this!" River immediately stopped whining and said "You go to the doctor. I'm sick of this too!"


* Pointing at a picture of the Savior...."That's Jesus. He saves us. He's sad!" I asked, "Why is he sad?" she said, "He wants us to come live with Him."

That's all I can think of right now. I'll probably remember more random samples to post that no one is interested in except me, but I'll be sure to post them anyways!

3 comments:

Tasha said...

I'm so glad to hear you got there safely! Those samplers are so funny! I'm curious to see how Devin does on our two flights to Buffalo.

Jayson & Chelsey said...

My cousin worked at the Hill Cumorah pageant this year... i bet you saw her and didn't even realize it... you remember Jessica right?

Enjoy Utah!

Ben and Eirene said...

Amazing daughter. I think she has a firmer grasp on gospel doctrine than I do. I never before delved much into the anatomy of Jesus, but yes, I guess he has a bum. Anyway, UtahUtahUtahUtahUtah! You guys are going to be in Salt Lake, right? Oh, my goodness. So close I can taste you! (whoa, that came out weird.) Are you in Roosy now? I'll call you today. Can't wait to see you!
eorene