Monday, October 29, 2007

High Fructose CORN Syrup

Well, it has finally happened. I over-dosed on candy corn. All these years I've been eating eating eating. I guess tonight I ate one candy corn too many. And the worst part? It was those gross brown candy corns that taste like fake chocolate, not the buttery yellow kind. So here I am, sitting in a high-fructose corn syrup induced stupor waiting for my body to kick out some insulin and save me from deadly ketosis.


All the mayhem started this afternoon when I got home from work to find Cameron waiting at the car door. He was hungry. As I climbed out of the car Cam started ticking food items off with his fingers "no bread, no eggs, no milk, no tortillas...nothing." He signified nothing by clenching his fist. As if to say, poof! all the food in our blimey house has blimey vanished. After digging through all the cupboards to no avail and with a firm promise that I would go shopping for dinner, Cam nuked a couple of hot-wings he found in the back of the freezer and left for school in the car. The only car. The shopping car. With a tremendous sigh, and knowing I would now only be able to buy the 'essentials', I lugged out the jogging stroller, plopped River in and set out for Rosaure's Grocery. I perused the aisles for a while and in the end, after some very careful thought on my part, the 'essentials' turned out to be a bag of chocolate candy corn and a giant sugar cookie shaped like a pumpkin. And that's it. Oh, and 3 apples. What can I say? At least the apples are Gala. And at least the candy corn is chocolate so I won't eat the whole bag. Just half of it. Which I already did. Eat, I mean. Half the bag. Drat those dang ketones.

Oh boy! Cameron just got home from class and he brought dinner with him. Real dinner. Not fake-chocolate-candy-corn-and-an-apple-on-the-side dinner. Tra.

4 comments:

Heather E. said...

I have a bowl of candy corn on my counter that I just randomly eat, and I don't like the stuff much but I had a coupon for it and it's Halloween. And you're working? Tell me all about it. And my mom saw you in Roosy and she called me immediately afterwards and I was JEALOUS!

Audra said...

Hmm..candy corn eh? Why is that we eat that nasty cnady? I hate candy corn..yet set it in front of me and I can promise you I too would eat the whole bowl.

Fig said...

I love candy corn. But I hate those brown ones. Really sad that you had to waste your sugar stupor on brown ones.

Ben and Eirene said...

Somehow, God endowed me with the ability to resist candy corn. However, last night at the Trunk or Treat, after toiling the whole night in the face painting booth, I was granted a bucket of high quality candy for my services. Or rather, feeling that I deserved compensation for my pains, I took a convenient bucket of high quality candy that no one else seemed to be claiming. THAT I have not been able to resist. And I assure you, they are screaming with a lot more of the ketones, whatever THOSE are.